Internship Program and Employment

Internship Program and Employment

1. Internship program

In recent years, the number of people who experience internship as employment experience while they are students has been increasing.

In general, internship is a system through which a student gains work experience relating to his/her major field and future career at a company, etc., while at school. Some universities are facilitating internship as a part of the curriculum. If you receive financial remuneration from the company, you need to apply for the permit for activity other than that of the designated visa status.

Regarding the availability of internship systems and transfer of the internship experience into credits, please confirm with the school at the time of your selection. Information on companies receiving internship students, registration and other items is available on the Internet as well.
If a student who is registered at a university outside Japan enters Japan to have employment experience as a part of the curriculum for obtaining credits from his/her university based on an agreement between the university and the company, the status of residence will be “Designated Activities,” “Cultural Activities” or “Temporary Visitor” depending on whether financial remuneration is provided, and the duration of stay in Japan.

If you wish to take an internship program while studying in Japan, please inquire at “ETIC”, a non-profit organization (https://www.etic.or.jp, refer to Chapter 15).

If you are a student living outside Japan, AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales: https://www.aiesec.jp or https://www.aiesec.org), which is a student organization having committees in more than 700 universities in 84 countries, conducts recruitment for internship programs for overseas companies (Refer to Chapter 15.)

2. Employment
  The number of international students who obtain employment in Japanese companies after graduation is increasing year by year. According to the Immigration Bureau, the number of international students who applied to change their status of residence so that they could work in Japan was 4,132 in 2001. Permission was granted to 3,581 of them (86.7%.)

The main points taken into account when screening applications for a change of status of residence for the purpose of employment are:
1) educational background,
2) the type of jobs in which the applicant wants to be employed,
3) remuneration and
4.condition of the company concerned.

Educational background includes graduates of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology, and those who graduated from specialized training colleges and obtained a qualification of “senmon-shi (technical associate).” Concerning the type of jobs, it is important that your work should be related to your major in the case of technical associates. For example, it would be difficult, in principle, for someone who studied costume design to obtain a change in status to work as a computer programmer. As regards remuneration, the salary should be at least the same as that of Japanese employees. As regards the condition of the company, there are no official standards, but the company should fulfill certain standards in terms of its stable business foundation and performance.

For details about procedures and documents necessary for application, please consult Regional Immigration Bureaus.  Information on employment in Japan can be obtained from the following:
(1) Consult the people who have studied in Japan and now work for Japanese companies;
(2) Inquire from the careers advice office of your school;
(3) Refer to employment magazines for international students;
(4) Attend employment seminars for international students;
(5) Participate in visits to companies;
(6) Contact consulting organizations such as the Center for Domestic and Foreign Students and the Employment Service Center for Foreigners (Refer to Chapter 15.)

Get in touch

If you have any question, we are here to answer them for you. Just fill up the form below.

JAGAM Central Committee (JCC) Kuala Lumpur

No. 603, Block F, ‬‪Pusat Dagangan Phileo Damansara 1,‬ ‪Jalan 16/11 Seksyen 16,‬ ‪46350 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.‬